Thursday, June 22, 2006

Little Manhattan



Love Story, the 1970 tearjerker starring Ali McGraw and Ryan O’Neal left me cold. Its famous tagline, “Love means never having to say you’re sorry,” has irritated and confounded me to no end for these thirty-six years. If there is no “I’m sorry” spoken, then when will the “I forgive you be heard”?

Here’s a new movie to set things straight, Little Manhattan. There are no big time stars, and no illicit romances to draw fawning fans to ask for this little film. It has nothing more to offer than a simple tale of a young boy’s first-time love.

I won’t spoil the rest, but Little Manhattan is truly love put into practice. Gather the family and a bowl of popcorn – and look for those catechetical moments. Here is a wholesome movie done well.


Also posted at Luther Library.

4 comments:

Hausfrau said...

I completely agree. It makes you laugh and cry. I heartily recommend it for the whole family.

Marie N. said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if my library can get it for me.

Marie N. said...

Well, I'm the 74th hold on the DVD. I guess my county library system needs a few more copies of this one. I guess we'll be enjoying it some time in 2008!

Anonymous said...

Netflix guys.